Saturday 22 December 2012

[GENERAL] English literature rant & Poetry

To be or not to be.

I love English literature so much that I decided to do it for A-levels. But, I bet you are wondering why I am suddenly ranting about my first love-reading.

Well, we did an essay on a comparison of  two dramas, Blackadder Goes Forth and Journey's End. For those who know these plays, whether you have read them or watched them. You know that there is a distinct difference in the genre-satire vs the seriousness of war. Blah Blah Blah.

I spent two weeks on this coursework and slept at 12 pm minimum every night . But. why you wonder? Well, if you haven't realised I love Anglais and I am determined to do well.
HAHA, I love irony. According to my teacher who proof read it; it was worth an A! But, guess what I got?
Around a D! Her reason for my grade and failure was because of the structure of my writing. I won't lie at that time I felt like Jo from Little Women being criticised by Professor Friedrich "Fritz" Bhaer. I wanted to cry so badly! Have you ever felt like that? That all your hard work was worthless?

Hmm, so to take out my angst I wrote this in my English lesson. Truthfully, this is the most work I have done in lesson and it's not even related to anything we are suppose to do.


" The first time I received my coursework . I was devastated, angry and tearful. I had spent the best of my sleeping time mowing through the world of literature in search of the Shakespeare within me. Looking down at red marks of criticism I wanted to cry. But, then I have learned that the harsher the criticism you receive the better you are; and the better the teacher wants you to be. At least that's what I say to comfort my remnants of my pride. I won't lie, I relied on my natural talent to get me through the essay. I wasn't as organised as I could have been. The truth is I hate organisation within my work, because that's not how I think. My mind jumps everywhere, and I want my reader to jump with me helplessly, attempting to decipher my writing. But, I guess this is not enough. However, I am not deterred; though this I shall work hard and accomplish the impossible.(Too dramatic?)

Well, I am not done yet,hehe. Maya Angelou's poem, " Phenomenal Woman", is what I recite to myself in times of self doubt- you should check it out if you can. It's amazing!

Here are my poems, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing them :D I don't know what to call them yet..

Poem 1
I wonder if all the love in the world is enough
Enough to save my wondering soul
The hushing sounds of the river
The tormenting cry of the wind,
Soothing me into a deep caressing sleep
I feel empty
Then, empty and cold
I see darkness
Then darkness and fear,
I feel the contours of my ancestors
Warning me, 
The harmony of their voices
Tormenting me
Is it right to fear imperfections?

Poem 2

I want to fall in love
And forget about
I want his eyes to look into mine
And just look
I want the reverberance of his voice
And tingle
I want to forget the world
And just see
Him

Together

Poem 3

If I were to be a bird
I would be beautiful and graceful
When men see me
They will smile
That sordid smile, Of men
If I were to die
I would die a peaceful death
When mourners see me
They will cry,
Cry those tears that Mary, mother of Jesus cried,
When he finds me,
He will love me,
His addiction to my scent, my smile, my snarl,
Would make him

(Well, I hope you survived that amateur piece of poetry,but I always think the best poet are the unprofessional writers; apart from Maya Angelou-she's awesome. However, if you look at someone like Wilfred Owen, he was just a mere soldier-but if you read his poetry you will understand what I mean).

If you have any advice or compliments(I love those) just write a comment and tell me, I would love to know.

See you soon :D
Afri




No comments:

Post a Comment